Tokyo is one of the most popular cities in the world, and it’s no surprise that tourists flock to the city during any season. January is an especially great time to visit Tokyo because of its mild weather, beautiful scenery, and numerous attractions. Whether you are looking for outdoor activities or cultural experiences, Tokyo has something to offer. From visiting one of the most famous shrines in Japan to trying tasty dishes, here are 10 enjoyable things to do in Tokyo during January.
1. Take a stroll through the Imperial Palace grounds: Located in Chiyoda, Tokyo’s Imperial Palace is surrounded by beautiful moats, parks, gardens and buildings that are perfect for a leisurely winter walk.
2. Enjoy Winter Illuminations: Tokyo has some of Japan’s biggest and most spectacular winter illuminations, including in Shinjuku and around Tokyo Tower.
3. Visit a museum: Tokyo has world-class museums that are perfect for a winter day out, such as the Mori Art Museum or the National Museum of Nature and Science.
4. Do some shopping at Ginza: January is the perfect time to shop in Ginza, Tokyo’s upscale shopping district. Don’t miss out on the seasonal sales!
5. Visit the Senso-ji Temple: This iconic temple in Asakusa is a must-see destination any time of year, but especially during winter when it is adorned with festive decorations and lights.
6. Visit Tokyo Disney Resort: Although it can get very crowded during the winter holidays, a visit to Tokyo Disney Resort is an absolute must for anyone visiting Tokyo in January.
7. Explore Akihabara: Also known as Electric Town, this area is home to some of Japan’s biggest electronics stores and arcades and makes for a great day out.
8. Enjoy a hot spring: Tokyo has several hot springs that are perfect for a winter soak, such as the Oedo Onsen Monogatari or the Yumori Onsen.
9. Take in a traditional Kabuki performance: January is one of the best months to take in a classic Kabuki performance at the world-famous Kabuki-za theatre in Ginza.
10. Visit a Japanese garden: Tokyo has some beautiful Japanese gardens that are perfect for a winter stroll, such as the Hama Rikyu Garden or the Shinjuku Gyoen National Garden. Enjoy!
Bonus: Tokyo is home to many hot springs that are perfect for a relaxing soak. Try out a traditional Japanese ‘onsen’ like Tokyo Osen, which offers both indoor and outdoor baths. Perfect for the winter weather!
Read Also: 10 Iconic Anime Spots In Tokyo
Enjoying the sights and sounds of Tokyo in January is a wonderful way to experience this vibrant city. From visiting historical temples, to taking in a traditional Kabuki performance, or just enjoying the beauty of its winter parks and illuminations, there are so many fun activities for visitors to enjoy during this time. Whether you’re looking for traditional culture, modern entertainment or a little bit of both, Tokyo has something for everyone. With a little planning and some luck with the weather, you’re sure to have an unforgettable experience in Japan’s capital city. Enjoy!